The Rybinsk State History, Architecture and Art Museum-Preserve, founded in 1910, remains one of Russia’s premier museums, dating back to 1910.
The museum, located in the Upper Volga region of Russia along the Volga River, houses more than 120,000 items, including a good bit of foreign art.
Rybinsk, which was called Andropov for a short time in the 1980s after former Soviet Union General Secretary of the Communist Party Yuri Andropov, dates back nearly 1,000 year and is the second-largest city in Russia’s Yaroslavl Oblast, lying at the confluence of the Volga and Sheksna rivers.
The museum’s collection consists of items from the estates of country noble family, old museums of the Yaroslavl region and gifts from scientists.
Among museum highlights are exhibits that includes a gallery of paintings from paintings that range from the 17th to the 20th century, country estate icons from the 16th through the 19th centuries and portrait galleries of famous Rybinsk families.
Numerous foreign artists from Italy, the Netherlands, Germany and France are represented in the museum’s collection.
The Rybinsk museum’s exhibits aren’t limited to art, either. There is section dedicated to the nature of Rybinsk region that includes stuffed bear, lynx, fox and wild boar.
There is also a hall of archeology that includes remains of ancient animals and the remains of ancient area Slavic settlements and a section devoted to the history and development of the town in the 16th and 17th centuries.